What exactly is “self-care” and why do we find it so hard to do. For some it just isn’t prioritized and for others a sense of guilt is associated with it. But, WHY on earth should we feel guilty for taking care of ourselves?!
What is Self-Care?
Self-care is a deliberate activity we do to help care for our mental, physical and emotional health. The activity should “refuel” you. It is NOT a selfish act. If we don’t care for ourselves we can’t care for others and we can easily become burned out. You deserve to be the best version of you and this is why self-care is so important. Self-care will help you find a good life balance which will allow you to do your job better, feel better, care for others better, and be the best you.
Self-Care is different for everyone, but some examples include:
- Spending time with loved ones
- Do regular doctor visits
- Relax someway everyday; a 20 minute walk, reading a book, meditating, bath
- Don’t avoid aches and pains; get a massage, go to the doctor, do acupuncture, yoga
- Make plans with friends
- Do something you enjoy everyday
- Get plenty of sleep
- Eat healthy
- Exercise; it’s great for mind and body!
- Counseling / therapy is a great way to work with a professional to enhance the health of the mind. Being able to openly talk to someone who can provide constructive feedback can largely benefit anyone
Add these activities into your daily schedule and get friends/family on board to help keep you accountable. It takes practice to do self-care, but the more you do it the more it’ll become a habit.
We can’t be our best version if we don’t take care of ourselves. Personally my favorite self-care activities include:
- taking baths
- walking (I walk alone every Saturday morning)
- having dinner with friends (I try to do this every other week)
- snuggling with my son while he watches his TV show before bed
- exercising 4-5 days per week
- cooking, but only 1-2 times per week (I can do so little b/c of meal prep!)
What will you do for your self-care this week?